One of the best hikes in the world
Nestled in the white-peaked Cordillera Blanca range in the Andes, the classic 4-day Santa Cruz backpacking trip may be one of the most beautiful treks in the world. While many people flock to the trails near Machu Picchu, this overlooked hiking mecca north of Lima has a fraction of the visitors, offering relative solitude for such a spectacular place. This trek winds its way through the valleys of the Cordillera Blancas while passing beautiful turquoise lakes on its way to the highest point on the trek, Punta Union.
During the 4 days you will walk in the heart of the Cordillera Blanca enjoying a beautiful view of the Andean landscapes, passing through ancient Inca trails surrounded by quenuales forests and exotic high Andean flora; as well as rivers with crystalline waters, lagoons and the impressive view that the "Punta Unión" pass offers us of the snow-capped mountains of the Cordillera Blanca.
Duration: 4 days
Distance: 42 km.
Highest point: 4,750 m (Punta Union Pass)
- Day 01: Huaraz - Cashapampa - Llamacorral (3750m)
Transfer in private transport to Cashapampa (2900 m) here we start our walk towards Llamacorral.
» Walking time: 4 to 5 hours approx.
» Campsite: Llamacorral (3750 m)
- Day 2: Llamacorral - Taullipampa (4250m)
This day we start walking very early during the walk we will be able to appreciate the Ichicocha and Jatuncocha lagoons and the snow-capped mountains of Caraz, Quitaraju, Artesonraju, Alpamayo.
» Walking time: 5 to 6 hours approx.
» Campsite: Taullipampa (4250m)
- Day 03: Taullipampa - Punta Union (4750m) - Cachinapampa (3750m)
It is the most difficult day since the walk is ascending to the Punta Unión pass 4750m. From here we will have a beautiful view of the snow-capped mountains: Quitaraju, Taulliraju, Artesonraju, Huascarán, Contrahierbas, etc.
» Walking time: 7 to 8 hours approx.
» Campsite: Cachinapampa (3750m)
- Day 04: Cachinapampa - Vaquería - Huaraz
This last day we will have a short walk to Vaquería where our transport awaits us for the transfer to Huaraz.
»Walking time: 2 to 3 hours approx.
SANTA CRUZ TREK / 4D-3N
- Transportation From your hotel in Huaraz to the starting point of the trek
- Transportation from the end of the trek to your hotel in Huaraz
- Camping equipment: Good quality mountain tents (2 people per tent), mats, dining tent, kitchen tent, tables, chairs, dishes and kitchen utensils.
- Food: Breakfast, lunch and dinner (option for vegetarians).
- Guide: Certified walking guide (English or Spanish) for another language on request.
- Cook trained to prepare varied and healthy dishes.
- Arriero: In charge of loading the donkeys and driving them.
- Donkeys: The number of donkeys depends on the size of the group. You can carry up to 8 kg of personal items that will be loaded onto the donkeys. During the day you will only carry your backpack with things for personal use.